It’s hard to know what you think of a song until you’ve heard it properly. For that reason, when I receive a new cd, I have a habit of listening to said cd in the dark, in my bed, with my best headphones on, noting down my first impressions.
Gliss are a three-piece band, a clash of distorted noise and sweet underlying melodies, dark and sensual and energetic and unique.
Since @absurdabsurd lent me her copy, here are my thoughts of their latest, Devotion Implosion, which will be released here in the UK in October but has already been released in the states. [Disclaimer: I know nothing of music whatsoever. ‘Nuff said.].
1. Morning Light – upbeat, full of fuzzy guitar feedback and and an almost dreamy melody.
2. 29 Acts of Love – also upbeat with a naughty edge, the kind of tune that makes you want to dance.
3. Sleep – mellow and relaxing, and oddly enough, the psychedelic melodies reminded me of temples and incense, at atmosphere that is startlingly interrupted by the darkly sexy chorus.
4. Beauty – happy, pop-y, relaxed, it reminded me of the Strokes, but slower and sexier.
5. Anybody Inside – darkly sensual, moodily energetic, there’s an edge of anxiety in the shuddering guitar riffs.
*6. Lovers In The Bathroom – one of my favourites, the beginning has an amazing bare-bones sound, simple and seductive, which is then rounded out by the chorus.
7. Sad Eyes – catchy rock-pop, upbeat, bouncy, beach boys gone dark, a tune to make you shake your hips
8. The Patrol – dark and grungy, similar to the songs in their debut album Love The Virgins.
*9. Love Songs – my current favourite, dirty, dreamy, incredibly atmospheric and almost spooky with its distorted guitar riffs and whispery vocals.
*10. Sister Sister – sweetly melancholic, the perfect end-of-album song, it reminded me of evenings on the beach and candlelit occasions, a touch of idyllic farewell. the fade out at the end is awesome; it makes you want to listen to this song all over again!
Now to go and actually learn the lyrics….
*EDIT: For more ‘professional’ reviews go see: