They say never judge a book by it’s cover, but I’m sure I’m not the only one guilty of doing the exact opposite. Cover art and book title are often given a lot of attention, but for this particular blog post I’d like to hear your thoughts on author names.
As some of you may know, my dissertation examines author names, and how they develop and function as a brand, as a signal that the related text is of a certain kind and quality. I am particularly interested in the use of pseudonyms, because by selecting a pseudonym, the author can control or shape a reader’s first impression.
So here are some questions to all you authors out there, whether published or unpublished:
• What genre do you write, and where is it published (online/print)?
• Do you use a pseudonym, meaning any name that is not exactly the same as your legal name?
• If yes, why? How did you choose it?
• If no, would you consider using one?
• What do you think are the main motives for authors resorting to pseudonyms?
• Do you think ‘online-only’ authors are more or less likely to use pseudonyms than authors with printed works?
If you think of any other points which I’ve forgotten to cover, please include those as well!
I’m curious to hear your thoughts.