I have made my first ever video blog. It’s a four minute long video which took over an hour to make. Most of that time was spent going, “Hi! It’s Anna, umm… That was a stupid beginning. Okay. Hi! It’s Anna. Umm.. Will I stop saying umm?!”
Anyhows. The video blog was to commemorate a new mile stone for me: I have finished (the first draft of) Above Ground – The Affected Parade (Book 1). You can read it for free over on qazyfiction.
I started writing it in the middle of March of last year, with an aim to give it to my sister on her birthday in April. Since I am notoriously bad at doing things on time, here I am now with it finished a year late. Oh well.
So. One year and 54,000 words later (not to mention all the bonus stories)…
Above Ground Highlights:
• My readers! The best part of it all definitely. Receiving donations, getting comments on chapters mere minutes after posting, getting reviews… All of it.
• Karen’s review in particular had me grinning like a lunatic.
• *EDIT: I can’t believe I forgot to mention it! Jan wrote AG fanfiction! My first fanfic! Woah!**
• Watching pageviews.
• I loved writing the scene which spans over Chapters 21 and 22, where Sam corners Lilith in the shower and goes all freaky succubus on her, only to be interrupted by an angry!Silver. Close favourite is where Kitsoon slams down the cheese puffs and says, ““Now, try our homemade puffs.”
• I also enjoyed writing a lot of the side stories and extra content as it gave me a chance to explore things I wouldn’t have otherwise. Like Jake/Fang’s backstory, and why Silver left his pack, and how Sla’ik ended up spending so much more time on ground than underwater.
Above Ground Lowlights:
• Hearing my weekly deadlines zoom past me multiple times. (Sorry, guys!)
• The 1 billion design changes. Offering PDFs of each chapter, then taking them down. Changing the chapter pages from light text on dark background to the current page style. Etc.
• Watching pageviews.
• The “slow” point — Chapters 14 to 20 roughly, after Lilith has joined the pack and before she meets Sam. That was really slow writing for me, perhaps because it was the middle of the book slump.
Well, I can tell you in person with the silly video I made (which sadly has odd sound glitches in it, sorry!):
If you haven’t yet, I’d love you to head on over to qazyfiction and take a peek.
Now all I need to do is get over the jittery relief/excitement, roll up my sleeves, and get back to writing. No rest for the wicked!